Fall Energy-Saving Tips
Now that summer is nearing the changeover to fall, it’s time to begin thinking about changes that you should make in your Panhandle home to start saving energy. The good news is that we’ve done some of the grunt work for you by compiling several helpful energy-saving tips that you can use this fall to help lower your monthly utility bills.
- Use sunlight to your advantage – Once the cold weather sets in, open the curtains or blinds of your south- and west-facing windows during the day in order to heat your home. At night, close them again to reduce any chill coming from outside. While it’s still warm outside, use the opposite approach during the day.
- Schedule a tune-up for your heating system – An annual tune-up of your heating system by a professional HVAC technician will keep it running to its maximum efficiency and alert you to any problems that may need attention. It also will maintain energy efficiency, keeping your monthly bills as low as possible.
- Perform an energy audit – Hiring a technician to perform an energy audit at your home will help you pinpoint any problem areas, including air leaks that you may not have detected or substandard insulation.
- Seal air leaks – If left unattended, air leaks can waste a lot of energy. Sealing these leaks with the use of caulk, expandable foam or weatherstripping can lower your energy bills quickly. Common problem areas include door frames, around windows, gaps around chimneys, and unfinished spaces behind cupboards and closets.
- Switch to a programmable thermostat – Installing a programmable thermostat will allow you to control the days and times when your HVAC system is in operation. If you want to maximum your control, upgrade to a WiFi thermostat, which can be accessed remotely through the Internet or a WiFi connection.
- Inspect your ductwork – Over time, your ductwork will experience tears or gaps, especially at the locations of the joints. This will force your HVAC equipment to work harder and lead to compromised indoor air quality. Fixing these issues will improve your system’s efficiency, thereby lower your monthly energy bills.
For more expert energy-saving tips, or if you have any other questions related to home comfort, contact the professionals at Winkelman Heating & Air Conditioning. We serve the needs of Dumas, Dalhart and other Texas Panhandle communities.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com